Saturday, February 09, 2008

4. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
Panda Bear - Person Pitch

Welcome to Postmodern Accident’s Best of 2007:
“…for my headache.”

Did you ever watch the MTV Top 20 Video Countdown that was played on Friday nights at 7? I think it was aired again over the weekend, so you didn’t have to cut into your Friday night mall time to watch it. I most frequently remember the show hosted by Adam Curry, possibly China Kantner or Carolyn Heldman occasionally.

WOW. Remember Kevin Seal? There are, like, NO pictures of these people online. For personalities who were so pivotal to suburban teen life in the late ‘80s, they sure seem obscure now.

Anyway, my point is that as the countdown reached its higher realms, there was almost always a video that everyone, without exception, was just completely sick of seeing, and instead of playing out the whole damn thing again, they’d show an excerpt from it and move on to something else. I mean, why watch all 7 minutes of “The Way You Make Me Feel” if you could gloss over it in 30 seconds and avoid the crotch-grabbing altogether? This was especially important if a song were moving down the chart, though I’m fairly certain MTV never failed to play the entirety of “Pour Some Sugar on Me.”

Strawberry Jam
Person Pitch

I’m not exactly sick of Animal Collective, and their standing on my list hasn’t faltered in any way. But as I already spent
an entire post back in October blathering on about Strawberry Jam and Avey and Panda
, I don’t really need to say much about them now.

Here’s the video for Panda Bear’s “Bro’s,” but don’t expect to be able to watch the whole thing because even as an edit it’s still 6 minutes long, and it’s so swirly that it kind of makes me sick. There’s a cat and a long haired (boy?) showering and something else but I don’t have the mild dose of ketamine handy that would undoubtedly slow my visual processing down enough to figure it out. Still, it’s a good example of Panda’s unusual Brian-Wilson-meets-Brian-Eno variant of postmodernism and deserves to be exalted here.

No comments: